The Diversity Scholars Program is a four year renewable merit scholarship that is based on demonstrated commitment to diversity that will be continued while a student at Appalachian State University. The award is typically awarded to incoming freshman students who are selected to participate in the interview process that takes place during the annual Scholars Weekend. Only students who have a complete application for admissions on file by the early notification and merit based scholarship deadline are able to apply for this scholarship opportunity.
How to Apply for the Diversity Scholarship
A separate essay, resume and letters of recommendation are required. The Diversity Scholarship Selection Committee will review applications and determine which candidates to invite for interviews. Candidates invited to Scholars Weekend will have the opportunity to meet with current Diversity Scholars prior to and/or following their interview with the Diversity Scholarship Selection Committee. A short interview will allow candidates the opportunity to ask questions posed by the Committee. There are typically 5-6 members of the interview team. All who interview are sent a letter to let them know the status of their application. These letters are typically sent 2-3 weeks following Scholars Weekend.
As it is an honor to be selected as a member of the Diversity Scholars community, there are certain requirements and expectations that have been established for continued membership with the group. All who are selected to receive the Diversity Scholarship must be willing to meet the following criteria each semester:
- Enrollment at Appalachian State University in courses totaling at least 12 semester credit hours throughout the award period and any subsequent period of renewals;
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 throughout the award period and any subsequent period of renewals;
- Recipients of this scholarship must attend the monthly Diversity Scholars meetings throughout the award period and any subsequent period of renewals.
- Each academic year of the award period recipients must complete at least fifteen hours of service to the university by participating in an approved activity or event that aids the university in its diversity efforts.
- Recipients must engage in a full semester (fall/spring) or session (summer) international experience prior to the start of their senior year.
- This scholarship may be renewed at the discretion of the university, for a maximum of seven (7) additional consecutive semesters (semesters include hours earned at previous colleges)
- This scholarship award may be revoked at any time, at the university’s discretion, upon a final determination that a Diversity Scholar has violated the Code of Student Conduct or the Code of Academic Integrity.
On occasion individuals are asked to apply after Scholars Weekend has occurred. These requests are handled on a case by case basis and by invitation only. These invitations can be extended to incoming freshmen or to continuing Appalachian Students who have exhibited a solid commitment to diversity, exemplary leadership skills, and outstanding academic performance.
Individuals who have questions about the process to apply for the Diversity Scholars Program should contact Matt Dull, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or Traci Royster, Director, Staff Development & Strategic Initiatives, and Diversity Scholars Program Co-Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or by phone 828-262-2060.